Re: [opensuse] Which Shell do I Have?
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 12:53:30 -0800

> > I thought it was rather clever.
>
> Depends on the situation.
>
> > This is a list for users of openSUSE Linux or of other Novell SuSE
> > Linux releases. At the very least, Linux is a reasonable assumption
> > for answers given here, and all current Linux systems have a proc
> > file system.
>
> What is the problem of looking beyond one's own nose?

Who said there's a problem? You're the one finding problems.

> Discussions
> about topics like this are technical, much more interesting and
> relevant than at least 80% of all the other emails on this list. Your
> IMO
> short-sighted comment is causing a lot of trouble in the life of many
> programmers/system administrators.

If you're a programmer or a system administrator, then you need to
handle your own diligence w.r.t. portability (among many other issues)
and if you blindly incorporate offered solutions without understanding
them, then you've got bigger problems than one non-Unix-portable
technique.

> I didn't complain about Anders'
> solution, I was just interested in assets and drawbacks of the
> different proposals. What's wrong with that? If you don't want to
> contribute something useful to this discussion or if you are not
> interested, just ignore this thread.

Obviously I am interested and I did contribute--certainly more than you
did. I explained how the technique worked when Kai remarked "No clue
what all that means..."

> Thank you.
>
> Cheers, Th.

Ah, the hypocritical "Cheers" salutation with an added snide "thank
you." A bonus!

Randall Schulz