Re: [opensuse] Multiple DNS servers in /etc/resolv.conf
  • From: Stan Glasoe <srglasoe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 14:31:36 -0600
On Wednesday December 6 2006 11:04 am, James D. Parra wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 December 2006 14:17, Sylvester Lykkehus wrote:
> > My guess at this configuration would be:
> > /etc/resolv.conf:
> > domain company.net
> > nameserver 10.0.0.1
> > nameserver 10.12.1.2
> > But this results in opensuse.org being looked up, while
> > intranet.company.net fails.
> >
> > Another guess:
> > /etc/resolv.conf
> > domain company.net
> > nameserver 10.12.1.2
> > nameserver 10.0.0.1
> > Which leads to intranet.company.net being looked up, while opensuse.org
> > fails.
> >

> > How on earth do i get around this, and why does it seem that both
> > nameservers are not queried ?
>
> Maybe your internal DNS server (10.12.1.2) needs to be setup to forward
> requests that it itself can not handle.
>
> ~James

Don't you also have to enable IP_FORWARDING in sysconfig or via the NIC
setup, routing configuration?

I advise against what you are trying to do when a work VPN is in use. It
creates a hole between your machine and local network and the corporate LAN
going both ways. Depending on your corporate policies it may be better to
let the VPN terminate at your machine without the ability to go any
further.

Stan