Re: [opensuse] Compiling a metalink client - aria2 - impossible
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 20:46:26 +0100 (CET)

The Wednesday 2006-12-06 at 13:36 -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

> > Mmmm.... why is that not under "/pub/opensuse/repositories"?
>
> ?? it is in the old suser's directory which still has new packages

Because the other is the official one.

> > And why is the link not pointed at in
> > http://en.opensuse.org/Released_Version#Metalink?
>
> ??

[Annoyed mode on]

The people there want us to use metalink to download the new 10.2 version,
but they do not provide an rpm for a working metalink client (or they are
silent about it). They must be using the factory version of 10.2 where
there is obviously one and therefore do not see the need to provide one
for us lowly users :-/

> > There is no src tree to check how they compiled it. I can not see if it
> > has metalink support compiled in.
> >
> > And it has unsolved dependencies:
> >
> > nimrodel:~ # rpm --test --install
> > /xtr/cer/download/updates/10.1/suse-guru/aria2-0.9.0-1.guru.suse101.i686.rpmwarning:
> > /xtr/cer/download/updates/10.1/suse-guru/aria2-0.9.0-1.guru.suse101.i686.rpm:
> > Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 58857177
> > error: Failed dependencies:
> > libcares.so.1 is needed by aria2-0.9.0-1.guru.suse101.i686
> >
> > It does not say which rpm has that libcares.so.1: it is not part of the
> > SuSE 10.1 distro, that I can vouch for.
>
> you _need_ to import the gpg key as with any signed location.

I know that. Didn't you notice the --test in the command line? I simply
haven't bothered about that part yet.

> And you
> do know guru.

No, I don't.

I have never used it. I compile my own extras, I only use ready made ones
if on a hurry or if it is too complex.

> c-ares containes libcares and is available in the same
> location.

And how on earth was I to know that libcares.so.1 is included in c-ares?
The nice thing about rpms is that they solve the dependency problem
telling you straight away which other rpms are needed to install this
one. It is absurd to say that a certain file is needed without specifying
the exact rpm needed.

All that tells me that it was unreliable built, combined with the fact
that they do not provide the src.rpm

I don't like that repository :-(

> > I can not install it.
>
> for what reason??

[I am still in annoyed mode ;-) ]

Because of unsolved dependencies. You knew, somehow, which other rpm I
needed, but not me - and I'm not a newbie, am I? ;-)

I had a look at the c-ares rpm. It is a fork of "ares" for the particular
use of the "curl" project. It is optionally needed by "aria2" because:

| In order to enable async DNS support, you need c-ares or ares.
| c-ares: http://daniel.haxx.se/projects/c-ares/
| ares: ftp://athena-dist.mit.edu/pub/ATHENA/ares

I don't want to install that one, and I still want to compile aria2 - or
an official rpm for aria2.

I will have a look at "wxDownload Fast" instead.

[...]

I can't...

| Unable to connect
|
| Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at
| prdownloads.sourceforge.net.

[ upgrading to very annoyed mode ;-) ]

- --
Cheers,