Re: [opensuse] Re: [opensuse-announce] openSUSE 10.2 is done
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 10:38:46 -0800
On Wednesday 06 December 2006 09:39, jdd wrote:
> Randall R Schulz a écrit :
> > Basically, a PDF suitable for bound printing is not one you'd use
> > for on-line viewing or for small-scale, non-bound printing on laser
> > printers at home or in the typical office.
>
> yes, but no :-)
>
> yes - certainly, if you manage to work with a Local print
> store, they will ask you more than usual pdf.
>
> no - for the king of use I mean of, nobody asks you
> anything. usually you have neither any people to help you,
> only a seat and a windows computer. chance if you get a R°V°
> printer :-).

I have no idea what a "R°V° printer" is. I have worked in PostScript and
PDF-driven phototypesetting software in the past, but it's been about
10 years and I'm sure things have changed significantly since then.

> So future shops will deal with simple pdf and
> hopefull new xml standard documents

Yes. We can agree that the future will be different than the present.

We can probably also agree that had the past been different than it was,
the present would be different than it is.

But... So what?

I think sufficiently widespread adoption of the still very young Open
Document standard is far enough off that support from consumer printing
services such as FedEx/Kinko's is not something we could base current
plans upon.

> the result is far from the high standard SuSE was giving,
> but much better than the injet printer one (and much more
> affordable, injet printing is extremely expensive)

Ink-jet printing is just plain stupid. I suppose for the occasional
color page when the volume would not justify a color laser printer, it
might conceivably possibly make sense, but basically, it's a horrible,
horrible technology with poor output quality and grossly expensive
consumables.

> > available, but it would need to be done to enable end-user printing
> > of bound manuals at local, low-volume print shops (e.g., FedEx /
> > Kinko's in the States).
>
> may somebody in the states could contact such inline book
> printing shop to ask what they could do for such work (we
> could probably through a LUG order some hundred copies) -
> given Novall gives us the right to do so (questionable - no
> problem for individuals, but for non profit small print?)

For North Americans (US only?), this is probably a good option:
<http://www.fedex.com/us/officeprint/main/>.

It appears they have software, sadly for Windows only, that prepares
documents for submission to their local printing services. I suspect
that we'd have to meet them more than half way, either by using that
Windows software or by somehow producing suitable PDF files for them.

I have a little experience with Kinko's. They were able to take a PDF
page with my business cards, replicated and with cut marks and no
gutters, and turn them into business cards (my first pass had gutters,
but they said it would be easier without them, so I changed the PDF
accordingly). So I think they have some flexibility. It may also depend
on how knowledgeable and service-oriented the staff is at a particular
store whether they can handle a given PDF file for bound printing.

> jdd

Randall Schulz