Re: [opensuse] Re: [opensuse-announce] openSUSE 10.2 is done
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 10:51:51 +0100
On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 10:15 +0100, Verner Kjærsgaard wrote:

> Perhaps a new business model is called for. So stop selling expensive boxes,
> just sell a small envelope with a DVD and a large poster, some stickers and
> whatever in, together with a thin "how to get started right now" manual.
>
> I want manuals too. But I don't want the ordinary "simple" manual, "getting
> started" (whatever) that's usually in the box.
> I want a real thick brick filled with hi-tech details and how-tos. That's too
> expensive to print, of course. So, as a paying user, let me have the envelope
> and a voucher with a code on, to let me download/on-line read the real thick
> tech manual. Let that be what I pay for. And let me be able to pay for actual
> real support too.

I have seen news stand magazines that have been just this. A SUSE distro
and a magazine to get you started. They are often on the news stands
here when a new release is out. I do not know who actually releases
them. It could be one of the European Linux mags that release a special
item. These happen occasionally for various distros. I should buy one
some time.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems AB