Re: [opensuse] Re: [opensuse-announce] openSUSE 10.2 is done
  • From: Verner Kjærsgaard <vk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 10:15:50 +0100

> >On Tuesday 05 December 2006 15:48, jfweber@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >> I want a box thank you.. so as not to have to chase off all over the
> >> place when one or another thing goes pop! haul out the disc reinstall
> >> whatever was there before the video/sound/hard drive/ and other assorted
> >> bits n bobs fry themselves.
> >
> >Well, in the short run (before chirstmas - aledgedly) ye shall have a box.
> >A green one op a blue one, - your choice.
> >
> >Realistically, what's the difference between a downloaded gold master
> >an a boxed master?
> >
> >Ultimatly, with the increase in bandwidth, I suspect the day of the
> >"boxed anything" is going away. Down load a cd's worth of stuff
> >and install from that (which Gentoo has done for years as the
> >default way of installing, but other distros support as well).
> >
> >Chaseing all over is an excellent application of computers, and the net.
> >They do it well. If ZMD keeps getting better I don't see the chaseing
> >as the big problem.
> >
> >That means the Distros need a new way to make money. Might
> >be paying customers will get faster servers, or earlier access, or
> >even actual tech support. I could see a distro supplying only
> >initial releases and security patches to the general public, and
> >inplace upgrades to paying customers, so that you don't
> >have to wait for the next release to get something new/cool.
> >
> >I can reach out from this chair and touch 4 boxed sets, and walk
> >across the room to 3 more.
> >
> >I don't mind paying for them.
> >
> >But I don't mind paying a different way either.
> >
> >Make me an offer!
> >--
> >_____________________________________
> >John Andersen
> >--
>
> I want a box, too, with a real manual. For the price of a download,
> as it's going to be, I deserve a manual and real disks. I should
> find a manual on a d/l and print out several hundred pages on my
> printer? Not likely! If SuSE won't do it, somebody will.
>
> --doug

I don't think SuSE's making money on selling hard boxes. At best, it just
balances. Just guessing.

Perhaps a new business model is called for. So stop selling expensive boxes,
just sell a small envelope with a DVD and a large poster, some stickers and
whatever in, together with a thin "how to get started right now" manual.

I want manuals too. But I don't want the ordinary "simple" manual, "getting
started" (whatever) that's usually in the box.
I want a real thick brick filled with hi-tech details and how-tos. That's too
expensive to print, of course. So, as a paying user, let me have the envelope
and a voucher with a code on, to let me download/on-line read the real thick
tech manual. Let that be what I pay for. And let me be able to pay for actual
real support too.