Re: [opensuse] Re: [opensuse-announce] openSUSE 10.2 is done
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 19:50:15 -0900
On Tuesday 05 December 2006 15:48, jfweber@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I want a box thank you.. so as not to have to chase off all over the place
> when one or another thing goes pop! haul out the disc reinstall whatever
> was there before the video/sound/hard drive/ and other assorted bits n
> bobs fry themselves.

Well, in the short run (before chirstmas - aledgedly) ye shall have a box.
A green one op a blue one, - your choice.

Realistically, what's the difference between a downloaded gold master
an a boxed master?

Ultimatly, with the increase in bandwidth, I suspect the day of the
"boxed anything" is going away. Down load a cd's worth of stuff
and install from that (which Gentoo has done for years as the
default way of installing, but other distros support as well).

Chaseing all over is an excellent application of computers, and the net.
They do it well. If ZMD keeps getting better I don't see the chaseing
as the big problem.

That means the Distros need a new way to make money. Might
be paying customers will get faster servers, or earlier access, or
even actual tech support. I could see a distro supplying only
initial releases and security patches to the general public, and
inplace upgrades to paying customers, so that you don't
have to wait for the next release to get something new/cool.

I can reach out from this chair and touch 4 boxed sets, and walk
across the room to 3 more.

I don't mind paying for them.

But I don't mind paying a different way either.

Make me an offer!