Re: [opensuse] More Software updater issues
  • From: Joseph Loo <jloo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 19:24:45 -0800
Tim Nicholson wrote:
> On one of my systems in the list of software updates I frequently get
> both a noarch patch and an x86-64 full version of the same package
> listed, and if I try to do a select all install I get a dependency
> failure which can always (so far) be cured by opting to install only the
> patch, at which point the dependency check then offers to install the
> previously listed full version, and the update proceeds successfully.
>
> Another system I have may list the same two versions of a package as
> above, but suffers no dependency resolution failure and the update
> proceeds normally.
>
> It looks to me as if the troublesome machine has a duff installed apps
> database or something, the question is how to fix it?

I can tell you how I solved my problem for 10.1. Yu need to go to the
appropriate mirror, e.g., ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/update/10.1/i586
(depends on your machine version.

do a configure the update source in YAST2. This will take 5 to 10 minutes

Down load the following rpm:
libzpp
libzpp-zmd-backend
zmd
yast2-ncurses
yastw-perl-binding
yast2-pkg-bindings
zmd-dev

do a rpm -Uvh *.rpm

I find it easier to just reboot the machine bring up the software update.

Just click accept for the first time. This will update additional rpms
ofor the updater.

Then you can either use zend or software update to update your system.
for 10.1 it took about 3 hours.
--
Joseph Loo
jloo@xxxxxxx