Re: [opensuse] How to attach to existing tty
  • From: M Harris <harrismh777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 14:45:37 -0600
On Tuesday 05 December 2006 14:20, Simon Roberts wrote:
> True, the panic kills it, but it takes quite a while (minutes) to die. It's
> generating recursive faults for quite a while, and it's still writing to
> the screen of tty10 if I'm already viewing that (but kills the keyaboard,
> so I can't change to that VT if I'm not already there). But there seems to
> be some hope at least that it might still write to the serial port.
oh oh oh... ok.

I ran into this on the AIX boxes I used to support... the video on those is
just a tty terminal (3270 info window, or some such).

Just unplug the existing terminal, and plug in a serial null modem cable (in
my case it was 25 pin on the AIX box to 9 pin on the other end) and run the
cable to your linux box serial port. Use minicom as the "terminal" now and
set the history lines to say, 5000 or so.

I used a linux box as a terminal to my AIX risc box for most of a year...
worked great... and the cool thing is that minicom screen can be logged ...
it doesn't just scroll away...

--
Kind regards,

M Harris <><