Re: [opensuse] How to attach to existing tty
  • From: Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 21:36:19 +0100 (MET)

The right way:

>I want to attach to the output stream of an existing terminal. I want
>to "tee" that output to the serial device so I can send it to another
>machine that will log and save the output. The terminal in question is
>created and started by "the system". It is acutally /dev/tty10, and is
>receiving log messages about kernel activity.

One or more of these:

* Boot with `console=ttyS0 console=tty0` to copy kernel messages to
both ttyS0 and the regular console. This should DTRT for Oops and
Panics

* use net console

And optionally:

* configure syslog to write to both ttyS0 and tty10 (if you need that)

>Other option suggested was to take a photo of the screen, but the messages
>disappear off the top of the page (due to the recursive nature of the thing)
>before I can switch terminals, so this isn't a very useful option.

There exist no recursive panics. What you see must be a recursive oops.

>Come to think of it, the last time I had a kernel panic, it was under Solaris,
>and I used "kdb" to capture it I think (too long ago to remember clearly!) Is
>there a similar facility in Linux? (Solaris/kdb starts the whole darn kernel
>under a debugger from the OBP (forth) boot prom prompt).

There is also a KDB for Linux, but I am not sure if it is built into the kernel
by default (gives me a compile error blech).

-`J'