Re: [opensuse] How to attach to existing tty
  • From: Simon Roberts <thorpflyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 12:20:02 -0800 (PST)

----- Original Message ----
From: M Harris <harrismh777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

On Tuesday 05 December 2006 11:31, Simon Roberts wrote:
> This, I guess, is probably a generic Unix question,
No, most Suse users will never do this...

I meant "generic" in the sense that perhaps it's related to buffer manipulation and not specific to Linux, not that it was commonplace! :)

> I want to attach to the output stream of an existing terminal.
You will need to redirect your console to /dev/tty10... then have another
terminal or shell monitor the output (could be as simple as minicom... with
history, hung off the machine over a null modem) I've done this plenty of
times... in fact... all of my headless boxes have the console directed to the
serial port.

Uh, right, that's what I want to do.

But _how_ do I do it? What commands do I type and where?

> The problem is that I'm getting a recursive kernel panic. . . which I guess
is reasonable in the event of a panic, as not much of the kernel's behavior
will be trustworthy . . .
uh, no. A "kernel panic" is a "casters-up" dead-as-a-doorknob condition...
the kernel is not running... it has stopped.

True, the panic kills it, but it takes quite a while (minutes) to die. It's generating recursive faults for quite a while, and it's still writing to the screen of tty10 if I'm already viewing that (but kills the keyaboard, so I can't change to that VT if I'm not already there). But there seems to be some hope at least that it might still write to the serial port.

I don't want it to even try to write to the disk, however, since that might just trash the entire filesystem. That's what I was trying to get at by "reasonable". If it doesn't work, then it doesn't work, but it can't hurt to try.

Or perhaps Linux has a kdb equivalent?

Thanks again,
Simon