Re: [opensuse] xmms and mp3 - RC1
  • From: Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 21:18:52 +0100 (MET)

>> >No it does not "pull in a bunch of unnecessary packages".
>> >
>> >Where did you get the impression that everything in a repository
>> >is "pulled in"?
>>
>> 19:49 ah:~ # smart channel --enable packman
>>
>> 19:49 ah:~ # smart upgrade
>> Updating cache... ########################################
>> [100%]
>>
>> Computing transaction...
>>
>> Upgrading packages (16):
>>[...]
>> Installing packages (5):
>>[..]
>>
>> 21.0MB of package files are needed. 36.8MB will be used.
>
>So what's you point?

I don't want it. Period. That's why I am wanting this "experimental" tag in
smart (and some other tag in rpm), so that only packages that I actually
installed from there are considered for upgrade.

>Packman has newer packages and it upgrades those.
>You don't have to accept any given upgrade if you don't want.

Yeah but the nice thing in `smart upgrade` is that you do no have to list all
packages to install/upgrade. If packman was enabled, I had to go by

`smart upgrade` to get the list of updates, then Ctrl+C and redo using `smart
install <all packages I want, without those I don't want>`. That's tiring. So
pm is disabled atm.

>> >Where did you get the impression that everything in a repository
>> >is "pulled in"?
>That list is FAR from the total packages on packman.

Where did I say that everything is pulled? I said _a bunch_.

-`J'