Re: [opensuse] How to attach to existing tty
  • From: Simon Roberts <thorpflyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 12:13:52 -0800 (PST)

----- Original Message ----
From: Alexey Eremenko <al4321@xxxxxxxxx>
To: opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, December 5, 2006 10:47:10 AM
Subject: Re: [opensuse] How to attach to existing tty

There are multiple ways I can help you:

1. You can try "shared session" by using "screen". (read info pages)
On first console tty use "screen", On second console use "screen -x"
to attach yourself to shared session (requires login of single user
on both tty's.)

2. redirect it "> /dev/ttyX" or use "wall" command.

3. Finally, you can scroll text-terminal up in Linux by using "ctrl+page up".

NOTE: works only if you are in non-X-terminal, but real TTY, *and*
only if you haven't changed to other tty.

Does that helped you ?

Unfortunately, none of this seems to work (well, the "screen" thing might, but only if I've failed to understand it).

The problem is that /dev/tty10 is being used for output by the system, but it's not running any processes. I can't log into it, and I can't get a command prompt "attached" to it. I can't therefore redirect it or use "tee" when I start a process on it, because I don't start the process.

Also, it also doesn't scroll.

I'm not sure what you're driving at by " real TTY, *and* only if you haven't changed to other tty." My system boots into X on VT-7. The kernel is sending its log messages to to VT-10 (because that's what it does), and while I can say "echo blah >/dev/tty10" and it shows up OK, I need to get a copy of what is going there.

Thanks for trying, sorry I perhaps wasn't very clear with the problem.

Any other thoughts?

Cheers,
Simon