Re: [opensuse] How to attach to existing tty
  • From: M Harris <harrismh777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 11:55:07 -0600
On Tuesday 05 December 2006 11:31, Simon Roberts wrote:
> This, I guess, is probably a generic Unix question,
No, most Suse users will never do this...

> I want to attach to the output stream of an existing terminal.
You will need to redirect your console to /dev/tty10... then have another
terminal or shell monitor the output (could be as simple as minicom... with
history, hung off the machine over a null modem) I've done this plenty of
times... in fact... all of my headless boxes have the console directed to the
serial port.

> The problem is that I'm getting a recursive kernel panic. . . which I guess
is reasonable in the event of a panic, as not much of the kernel's behavior
will be trustworthy . . .
uh, no. A "kernel panic" is a "casters-up" dead-as-a-doorknob condition...
the kernel is not running... it has stopped.

--
Kind regards,

M Harris <><