Re: [opensuse] ATI radeon 75/60 hz issue on SuSE10.2 (SOLVED well, eh...)
  • From: Verner Kjærsgaard <vk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 17:17:47 +0100
Tirsdag den 5. december 2006 13:45 skrev Verner Kjærsgaard:
> Hi list,
>
> on SuSE10.1 AND the new SuSE10.2 (rc1) I've noticed that on my IBM ThinkPad
> R50 with an ATI Radeon RV250 Lf display (1400 x 1050), the installation
> sets the refresh rate to 75Hz.
>
> This causes the driver circuit in my machine to go mad in about 30 minutes
> from power on. The screen will gradually degrade with horizontal flashing
> lines and eventually become completely useless.
>
> If I (YaST) set down the refresh rate to 60Hz the screen will stay on just
> fine. But when moving windows around, it doesn't really look good, all
> vertical lines are distorted with small pieces of "horizontal noice" to
> them.
>
> On SUSE10 this never happened.
>
> Any ideas?

Hi list

- thank you for the answer. I actually don't know if I really have such an ATI
card in my IBM Thinkpad R50....Don't know really how to find out...

- I just did another thing....in YaST(sax), I selected the one and only IBM
LCD display adaptor that there is to choose. This proved to be very good.
Actually excellent. No distortions, all is just perfect.

- so conclusion: SuSE10.2 somehow suggested a slightly wrong driver and thus
wrote a "not so good" config file for it. Once corrected, SuSE10.2 is
displaywise on an R50 - just excellent.