Re: [opensuse] openSUSE 10.2 RC1 upgrade stories
  • From: Fergus Wilde <fwilde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 15:28:13 +0000
On Tuesday 05 December 2006 13:48, Sorin Peste wrote:
> I was wondering how many people tried upgrading their Suse 10.x to 10.2 RC1
> since it came out (as opposed to doing a fresh install). I'm thinking of
> doing the same but after botching the upgrade from 10.0 to 10.1 I'm a
> little circumspect.
>
> Anyone got success / horror stories they want to share?
>
> Thanks,
> Sorin

I'm always inclined to do a fresh install, but whether you go with a fresh one
or an upgrade I would put your data somewhere else first. In my case, for
example, I do indeed have a separate /home partition, but because many of the
dotfiles change, and because of various arcana concerning dcop and mcop, I
find it handiest to have another nice big partition called something
like /data where I can keep everything I am actually bothered about. An
initial install of SuSE is very capable of leaving such a partition
completely alone (best to check the device number and be careful about the F
for format in that screen) while I can reformat /home and thus make sure any
old cobwebs are cleaned away. You need to back up stuff like your email too,
and naturally that /data partition had better be backed up too.

All best
Fergus

--
Fergus Wilde