Re: [opensuse] Home network problem
  • From: James Wright <jamfwright@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 08:07:38 -0500
On Tuesday 05 December 2006 7:48 am, Carl Hartung wrote:

> I /do/ recall a thread in the last year or two here where we discovered a
> small but significant difference between Linux and M$ "ping" ... one being
> accepted and the other ignored, causing great consternation to the OP.
>
> This may not be the case here, but forewarned is forearmed. I
> think /usr/sbin/mtr was the solution.
>
> Carl

The ping issue between Windows vs Linux is the size of the ICMP packet. I
believe a router (in that thread a while back) was refusing Linux pings,
based on the size. As far as I know, this would only affect equipment
requiring Windows based pings. A ping to a normal router should return as
expected regardless of the OS.

- James W.