Re: [opensuse] Home network problem
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 07:25:15 -0500
M Harris wrote:
> On Monday 04 December 2006 20:48, eharrison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> The connection is through a cable modem. I didn't try pinging the boxes
>> back and forth.
>>
> Make sure that your internal network is working first, then outbound.
>

>> BTW, what setting would keep the router from forwarding the linux packets?
>>
> That depends on the router. Mine is another Linux box through a shylink
> switch to the internal net, and nic to the outside... is your router
> home-made (linux box, other) or is it a hardware package like the linksys, or
> other?

If the box passes packets from Windows, it should also do so for Linux.
There's no such thing as "Linux packets". The problem is either routing
or DNS resolution in the system with the problem. If you can ping by IP
address, but not host name, it's DNS. If you can't by IP either, it's
routing. If you can't even ping a local IP, then it's some
configuration issue with the NIC. A useful tool to find out what the
problem is, is Ethereal.