Re: [opensuse] Home network problem
  • From: Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 06:06:34 -0500
On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 05:55 -0500, Mike McMullin wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 20:10 -0600, M Harris wrote:
> > On Monday 04 December 2006 19:04, eharrison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > > The suse box can ping the router and open the administration of the
> > > network through the default gateway of the router. Any attempt to reach
> > > the internet results is www..... can not be found. /etc/resolv.conf
> > > changes dynamically and shows the ISP in the search line and their 2
> > > nameservers, also. Still not joy.
> > Can you ping an outside address:
> >
> > ping 209.97.46.5
> >
> > This is the address for www.usatoday.com.
> >
> > If you can ping the outside address, but can not ping www.usatoday.com, then
> > there is something wrong with your name resolution... and
> > probably /etc/resolv.conf is the problem.
>
> That file should point to the router, the router should get the
> dynamic name server information from the ISP. I have a similar
> intermittent problem with my SMC4008ABR. Other than forcing the name
> server information into the Config file (via YaST) I have found that
> dis-connecting the DSL connection, and then reconnecting, using it's
> administration software, to be a cure.
>

> {snip}

Just a followup on a couple of thins I read after posting this. Your
Linux system worked find until recently, and recently there was a major
storm in your area. Is it possible that your NIC is fried and you are
getting intermittent connections with it? When I get the network is
unreachable problem, I usually open YaST delete the network card
information, and then re-install the network card. YaST picks up the
info and I get a network connect again. IT's not pretty but could be
informative.