Re: [opensuse] Home network problem
  • From: eharrison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 21:44:48 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: M Harris <harrismh777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, December 4, 2006 9:10 pm
Subject: Re: [opensuse] Home network problem
To: opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx

> On Monday 04 December 2006 19:04, eharrison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > The suse box can ping the router and open the administration of the
> > network through the default gateway of the router. Any attempt
> to reach
> > the internet results is www..... can not be found. /etc/resolv.conf
> > changes dynamically and shows the ISP in the search line and
> their 2
> > nameservers, also. Still not joy.
> Can you ping an outside address:
>
> ping 209.97.46.5
>
> This is the address for www.usatoday.com.
>
> If you can ping the outside address, but can not ping
> www.usatoday.com, then
> there is something wrong with your name resolution... and
> probably /etc/resolv.conf is the problem.
>
> Has this setup ever worked in the past?
> What has changed?
> Do you have a firewall running on your router?

I am in DC for a few days and I can not remember if I tried to ping an
IP address or not. I know I had no luck with URLs, but the resolv.conf
file looked as it alwasys has. It worked well except just after the
hurricanes shut the electricity down for a few days, but was working
fine until yesterday. We tried a new router with a different default
gateway IP address. We went back to the old router. I believe both had
the firewall enabled, but that had not been a problem in the past. The
SuSE Firewall is off.

I will check it out on Thursday and repost.