Re: [opensuse] libexpat.so.1 "missing" says Smart
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 23:20:39 +0100

mlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
..
> I gave smart a whole bunch of channels and selected the
> current KDE. Smart started working (if I recall...) KDE 3.5.5,
> then stopped with a message about "... no package provides libexpat.so.1".
> Can somebody explain this please? I don't understand.
> I already have libexpat.so.1 installed and several applications,
> including apache2 are running just fine, and YaST says they
> all need libexpat.so.1, so therefore it must be present and
> functional on my system... yes?

Yes, should be the case, libexpat.so.1 is provided by the package
"expat" (version 2.0.0).

> Additionally, I had the DVD (SUSE 10.1 remastered) in my
> DVD drive, and _it_ definitely contains libexpat.so.1.

Doesn't matter, smart won't use it unless you explicitely add it.

> I could probably go and get it again (though the first 75 hits
> on Google are for Deb, RH, SUSE 64-bit (I've got a 32-bit machine)
> and SUSE PPC, which might be problematic), but I don't see why I

"Problematic" ? Do. not. do. that. never. ever.
Only use RPMs that have been built on SUSE 10.1 for SUSE 10.1

> should, since the correct version is already installed and
> satisfactory for all the other apps that require it on my PC.

Hmm.. weird enough.
Do a repair of your RPM database, maybe it's corrupt:
rpm --rebuilddb

Please paste the output of the following 3 commands:
uname -m
rpm -q --qf "%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE} %{PACKAGER} %{ARCH}\n" expat
smart query --installed --name=expat

> By the way, I tried a similar upgrade of KDE in September
> (before the remastered SUSE 10.1 was available), and at
> that time, smart choked with the same problem. There's

Certainly atypical. smart does the KDE upgrades without any problems,
but not only for me, I see it every day on #suse (IRC).
Never heard of a problem like that.

Maybe it's an issue with your RPM database.

[...]

cheers
- --