Re: [opensuse] SuSE10.2-RC1, NetworkManager SOLVED
  • From: Verner Kjærsgaard <vk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 21:01:26 +0100
Mandag den 4. december 2006 20:40 skrev Verner Kjærsgaard:
> Mandag den 4. december 2006 11:19 skrev Timo Hoenig:
> > Hi Verner,
> >
> > On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 08:53 +0100, Verner Kjærsgaard wrote:
> > > On my brand new SuSE10.2 (internet install, all like a breeze), my
> > > wireless (ipw2100 on IBM ThinkPad R50) gets detected and I'm able to
> > > set it up correctly. I can't connect to my AP, however.
> > >
> > > I was under the impression that a thing called networkmanager would
> > > automagically select between cabled and wireless if one of them is
> > > available?
> > >
> > > It isn't.
> >
> > Please read http://en.opensuse.org/Projects/KNetworkManager .
> >
> > > In the panel, I've got this small icon down right, it's small
> > > "Knetworkmanager" aplet. Only I can't select anything sensibly from it?
> > >
> > > Now what? What am I missing here?

> > Please get back if you still have problems after reading the above link.
> >
> > Timo
>
> Hi list and Timo,
>
> - thank you for your reply. I read the info which was pointed to. Beautiful
> screenshots...I never saw anything remotely like that on any of my boxes.
> I've got 3 laptops, 2 IBM ThinkPad R50s and one DELL Precision M90 running
> SuSE10 and SuSE10.2
>
> - KNetworkManager clearly does not look like that on any of them.
>
> As I try to re-install the wireless interface, I suddenly get a dialogbox
> that says:
>
> "(translated...) This unit requires firmware in order to function properly.
> I may be installed from the openSUSE FACTORY 10.2 add-on CD. In order to
> install the firmware, add the add-on CD to your YaST installtionsources and
> return to this dialog"
>
> In other words, I'll get back :-)

I'm back, succesfully!

Thanks to Timo for guiding me,- it's working just fine now.

The reason...I was led to believe all was good, because the ipw2100 module was
installed and loaded. Only when I deleted the wireless interface and tried to
reinstall it, was I notified of the missing firmware.
Once downloaded, which went just fine, all is really ok.

And I'm now getting KNetworkManager dialogboxes just like the screenshots.

One of these days, I'll take a deep breath and install it for real on one of
the laptops.

It's just too much eye candy not to :-)