[opensuse] Re: [opensuse-project] Site going down at release - solution
  • From: jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 19:43:18 +0100
sorry, bad link in the previous mail :-(

jdd a écrit :
opensuse users, read ahead :-) thanks

Anthony Bryan a écrit :

What I was proposing on the list (maybe not explicit
enough) was that the site goes into crisis mode. Only
list metalinks and torrents, and rely on p2p/mirrors to
distribute the ISOs. Either stop the main site from ISO
downloads, or severely limit it so the site can stay up.
Only list the most important info.

to be practical, I propose that you spread this very post. I
already crosspost to opensuse list. Here are the
instruction, feel freee to edit is I made any mistake.

If you have problems joining the opensuse.org site or any
mirror during the first days of the 10.2 release, there is a
solution.

The solution is to use metalink. This utility, in very short
summary, make a balance between all the available ftp
sources and allows you to download from the better one.

as long as the site is available you can look at
http://en.opensuse.org/Released_Version#Metalink

The .metalink file is approximately like a torrent file,
very small and easy to catch.

you need a metalink client, there are many for any system
(for example aria2 or wxDownload).

then look at

http://download.packages.ro/metalink/opensuse/

with your browser. This ftp is _not_ a opensuse mirror, so
should not be down

test your system with the 10.2 rc1, for example. GM and 10.2
are not yet functional, but will be asap (the dec 7)

enjoy :-)

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://dodin.org/mediawiki/index.php/GPS_Lowrance_GO