[opensuse] libexpat.so.1 "missing" says Smart
Hey all,

I installed SUSE 10.1 remastered, formatting everything except
my /home partition.

It came with the same old KDE 3.5.1a, so I wanted to upgrade.

I gave smart a whole bunch of channels and selected the
current KDE. Smart started working (if I recall...) KDE 3.5.5,
then stopped with a message about "... no package provides libexpat.so.1".

Can somebody explain this please? I don't understand.

I already have libexpat.so.1 installed and several applications,
including apache2 are running just fine, and YaST says they
all need libexpat.so.1, so therefore it must be present and
functional on my system... yes?

Additionally, I had the DVD (SUSE 10.1 remastered) in my
DVD drive, and _it_ definitely contains libexpat.so.1.

I could probably go and get it again (though the first 75 hits
on Google are for Deb, RH, SUSE 64-bit (I've got a 32-bit machine)
and SUSE PPC, which might be problematic), but I don't see why I
should, since the correct version is already installed and
satisfactory for all the other apps that require it on my PC.

By the way, I tried a similar upgrade of KDE in September
(before the remastered SUSE 10.1 was available), and at
that time, smart choked with the same problem. There's
been at least one new repackaging of KDE since then, and
there's been a complete new SUSE installation on my computer,
so I don't understand what's going on. Why would that
failure persist through a full installation? The KDE upgrade
was one of the first things I attempted after the new SUSE
install, so I don't understand what I could have broken,
or what mystery switch I might have flipped to make my
existing libexpat.so.1 invisible to smart.

Oh... and, um... what do I do about it? I'd like to get at
least KDE 3.5.4 or 3.5.5 installed.

Thanks,

Kevin