Re: [opensuse] Configuring Dual Head Mode on a laptop
  • From: Simon Roberts <thorpflyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 05:44:34 -0800 (PST)

----- Original Message ----
From: Matthias Hopf <mhopf@xxxxxxx>
To: Rylan Cottrell <cottrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, December 4, 2006 6:39:53 AM
Subject: Re: [opensuse] Configuring Dual Head Mode on a laptop

On Nov 30, 06 10:01:44 -0700, Rylan Cottrell wrote:
> I have dual head mode running on my hp dv4000 with the interl 915G. The
> problem I am having is with the resolution, my laptop is 1280X800(15.5
> widescreen) and the second monitor is 1280x1024 (17inch). Currently I
> can only get them to run in the same resolution mode ... so I get a cut
> off screen if I go up to 1280x1024 or the second monitor looks
> compressed at 1280x800.
>
> Is their a way to have each monitor run at it's own resolution?

How should that ever be possible, except for a real dualhead environment
(with different contents on both screens)? You're obviously running
clone mode.

It seems to work for me "the other way round". That is, the external
monitor will run as a compressed version of the internal. I use
1280x800 on the LCD and 1024x768 external, in clone mode. The external
is slightly compressed, naturally, but entirely readable (I use it for
projecting). I was pretty impressed by its cleverness, actually :)

Cheers,

Simon

"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions." — Naguib Mahfouz