[opensuse] SuSE10.2-RC1, NetworkManager
  • From: Verner Kjærsgaard <vk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 08:53:39 +0100
Hi list

On my brand new SuSE10.2 (internet install, all like a breeze), my wireless
(ipw2100 on IBM ThinkPad R50) gets detected and I'm able to set it up
correctly. I can't connect to my AP, however.

I was under the impression that a thing called networkmanager would
automagically select between cabled and wireless if one of them is available?

It isn't.

In the panel, I've got this small icon down right, it's small
"Knetworkmanager" aplet. Only I can't select anything sensibly from it?

Now what? What am I missing here?

NEGATIVE RANT: Now, I respect (a lot in fact) the enormous effort that the
SuSE programmers are putting into a very fine distry. One that's been my
absolute choice for many, many years.
I lieu of the excellent overall quality, I am sorry, but I don't understand
why a (seemingly, but that may not be the case) relatively simple thing like
an automatic selection of network source is not ready. Or, is not well
documented... I mean, I'm heavily plugging SuSE to ordinary (read Windows...)
users, and I fail to understand this...it's so important.

POSITIVE RANT: Now, my experience with the SuSE10.2 install, the design, the
new KDE userinterface, the overall feeling is excellent. It's a fantastic
distro. The graphic design is a killer. Pleasant to the Eye and all. What a
fab job!