Re: [opensuse] democracy player
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 08:31:39 +0100

Peter Van Lone wrote:
> On 12/3/06, Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> The problem is that it requires Python bindings for XUL (gecko/mozilla)
>> and those are not included in the firefox/seamonkey/gecko builds on SUSE.
>>
>> Note that SUSE isn't really to blame, those are deemed experimental at
>> best and not built by default with seamonkey/firefox.
>>
>> This means that, first of all, we'd need the mozilla-xulrunner and/or
>> gecko-sdk SUSE packages to include the python bindings as well.
>>
>> Who's in charge of those packages now that Wolfgang left SUSE ?
>> MozillaFirefox changelog: jhargadon
[...]
> Do we really care if we are using the Suse-supplied mozilla stuff?

Yes, definitely.

> What about creating an "uber-package" that would install the needed
> configuration of mozilla components as well as the democracy player
> stuff?

Building mozilla is one of the most painful processes one could think of
(ok, openoffice isn't bad either).

Building democracy player's own copy of the mozilla libs as part of the
democracy player package is a very bad idea.

I tried to rip out the parts needed for the python bindings and build
them against an installed mozilla-xulrunner/mozilla-xulrunner-devel but
it's just a huge pain in the ... because you have to patch and hack the
Makefiles, etc...

Too bad the democracy player developers chose to use such an
experimental UI toolkit that's not even built by default.

cheers
- --