Re: [opensuse] democracy player
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 01:22:59 +0100

Pete Connolly wrote:
> On Sunday 03 December 2006 22:32, steve reilly wrote:
>> On Sunday 03 December 2006 17:14, Pete Connolly wrote:
>>> Strangely enough, I've been looking at this today after reading some very
>>> good write ups around the net. It sems that Darren Davis is working on
>>> this on the build service
>>> (http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-buildservice/2006-09/msg00188.html)
>>> but hasn't got there yet. Maybe this is something we could help him
>>> with? I'd be willing...
>>>
>> absolutely........ Im afraid I wouldnt be any help on the programming side,
>> (my limits are a bit of html, and php) but testing, and anything else Id
>> be more than willing. This is a great program! Im having fun with it.
>
> OK then, I'll have a look at the source and see how far I get. Judging by the
> article at
> http://nileshbansal.blogspot.com/2006/05/democracy-player-on-suse-100.html it
> might be a bit of a slog, but we'll see how far we can get.
>
> Packaging an RPM isn't something that I do too often, but as per usual I'll
> take it as a learning opportunity :)

I had a shot at packaging democracy player a few weeks ago.
Don't even try to, you won't be able to build it on SUSE.

The problem is that it requires Python bindings for XUL (gecko/mozilla)
and those are not included in the firefox/seamonkey/gecko builds on SUSE.

Note that SUSE isn't really to blame, those are deemed experimental at
best and not built by default with seamonkey/firefox.

This means that, first of all, we'd need the mozilla-xulrunner and/or
gecko-sdk SUSE packages to include the python bindings as well.

Who's in charge of those packages now that Wolfgang left SUSE ?
MozillaFirefox changelog: jhargadon
?

cheers
- --