[opensuse] Smart
  • From: "Brett I. Holcomb" <brettholcomb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 17:17:53 -0500
Based on some of the posts here and my experiences with Yast2 I'm looking at
smart as an alternative. I run OpenSuse 10.1. I installed smart and the
smart-gui using Yast2 (does it know it's training it's own replacement <G>).
I'm looking at some of the docs on the susewiki and the smart site but have
some questions.

1. Channels - supposedly there are some installed with smart but
my /etc/smart directory has no files in and the complete source site given in
the docs is unreachable - no such server. I can add these manually but
isn't a file with default channels supposed to exist? I did find
a /var/lib/channels directory - is this used instead.

2. The susewiki talks about additional channels like suse-kde. Where do I
find them?

I'm hoping smart will live up to it's name and finally there will be a package
manager that works <G>.

Thanks.

--

Brett I. Holcomb