Re: [opensuse] rpm segfaulting
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 17:43:01 +0100 (CET)

The Saturday 2006-12-02 at 14:00 +0100, Anders Johansson wrote:

> When rpm segfaults, the first thing to try is rpm --rebuilddb

nimrodel:~ # rpm --rebuilddb
Segmentation fault
nimrodel:~ #

Seems recursive advice :-P

> > It doesn't say why it segfaults, so I thought I would install rpm-debug,
> > thinking that it would produce a coredump, perhaps. But Yast complains
> > (hand copied):
>
> You can get a coredump without the debug rpm, by setting "ulimit -c unlimited"
> before running the crashing command.

nimrodel:~ # rpm --test --verbose --upgrade Mesa-6.4.2-19.12.i586.rpm
Preparing packages for installation...
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
nimrodel:~ # l *core*
/bin/ls: *core*: No such file or directory

Ah.

nimrodel:~ # l /*core*
-rw------- 1 root root 14397440 Dec 2 17:34 /core

Now what do I do from that, open a bugzilla and atach it?

> You need the -debuginfo rpm to get some sensible, readable information from
> that coredump
>

> > This would invalidate atom:rpm-...
> >
> > | atom:rpm-4.4.2-43.4.i586 has unfulfilled requirements
> >
> > - Conflict Resolution
> > O delete rpm
> > delete atom: rpm-4.4.2-43.4.i586
> >

> > Obviously, I can't delete that package without hossing my system. What do
> > I do?
>
> Well, not so obvious. the -debug rpm has the same functionality, except with
> debugging enabled. So you wouldn't be just deleting it, you would be
> replacing it

Then the Yast message is not clear. Typical programmer's speak, only
understandable by those in the know. What the heck is an atom and what do
I care? Simply tell me that I have to choose rpm or rpm-devel because they
are mutually excluyent. :-/

> But you don't need to

Do yo think I should install it before sending the coredump to bugzilla?
I'm no developer, I can't do anything with it.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.