Re: [opensuse] Spamassassin Dependency in kde?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 12:02:13 +0100 (CET)

The Friday 2006-12-01 at 23:50 -0900, John Andersen wrote:

> The software updater (zmd) pops up a message saying it is going to
> install spamassassin. Your only choice is Ok or Cancel.
> If you select OK, it totally hozes your spamassassin with a back level
> version.

In Yast/you, select the view to see what is going to be installed, or
search for the spamassassin package, then mark is as "taboo". You can then
go on with the update, it will not be installed. Unfortunately, you will
have to do this every time, the setting doesn't use to keep, not always.

Another trick is to create an almost empty rpm named like the package it
wants to install, or even better, like the new version you in fact have,
and install it. Then the rpm database will not propose to install what it
thinks it has installed.

You can create that rpm with:

md spamassassin-3.1.3-3.2 (or newer)
cd
checkinstall touch whatever

> Spamassassin is one of those packages that has to be up to date
> or it is essentially useless.

SuSE's version is fine and catches something like 99% of the spam I get,
and I get it by the hundred per day.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.