Re: [opensuse] opensuse 10.2 feature question
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 07:50:44 +0100
"Greg Freemyer" <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> All,
>
> I was just reading the kernel newbies page about the new features in
> 2.6.19: http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_19
>
> And saw:
> ==
> FAT: Add "-o flush" mount option for fat for removable media devices
> (USB flash-based memory devices, MP3 players). Mounting with -o flush
> tells FAT to write things to disk as quickly as possible. It is like
> -o sync, but much faster (and not as safe). Think of it like a fast
> "async" mount (commit)
> ==
>
> Does anyone know if this is in the SUSE 10.2 kernel?
>
> And if so, if the SUSE automount logic is using this flag instead of
> -o sync like 10.1 does?

From our kernel-source changelog:
Sun Jan 15 19:06:01 CET 2006 - mason@xxxxxxx

Update series.conf to reflect my patch status
Add missing mason patches (and submit them to mainline)
Add fat -o flush mount option for best effort constant writeback
to removable media (faster O_SYNC alternative).
[...]
- patches.suse/fat-o-flush: add -o flush for fat.

So, it's there since 10.1 and still in 10.2 - and is now upstream.

It should be used by our tools already - we implemented it after too
many complained about the slow USB speed with 10.0,

Andreas
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 N├╝rnberg, Germany