Re: [opensuse] opensuse 10.2 feature question
  • From: "Joe Morris (NTM)" <Joe_Morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 11:51:52 +0800
Greg Freemyer wrote:
> On 12/1/06, Alexey Eremenko <al4321@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 12/1/06, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > All,
>> >
>> > I was just reading the kernel newbies page about the new features in
>> > 2.6.19: http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_19

But I know, because I rebuilt my kernel (for the fun of it, and to check
out a problem I had), and needed certain patches like for apparmor,
etc., that the 10.1 kernel had this patch. I found out when I mounted a
USB drive with my self built kernel, when I found the patch and added it
to mine, so I would be fairly certain it is already in 10.2, and
probably came FROM Suse and was just accepted mainline in the kernel
with 2.6.19.
>> > And saw:
>> > ==
>> > FAT: Add "-o flush" mount option for fat for removable media devices
>> > (USB flash-based memory devices, MP3 players). Mounting with -o flush
>> > tells FAT to write things to disk as quickly as possible. It is like
>> > -o sync, but much faster (and not as safe). Think of it like a fast
>> > "async" mount (commit)
>> > ==
>> >
>> > Does anyone know if this is in the SUSE 10.2 kernel?
>> >
>> > And if so, if the SUSE automount logic is using this flag instead of
>> > -o sync like 10.1 does?
>> >

>> This feature, while nice, will not go to openSUSE 10.2, because it is
>> feature-frozen, and release is near.
>>
>> It may get included in 10.3 however.
>> --
>
> Thanks, thats what I suspected, but sometimes SUSE backports new
> features into older kernels, so I was hopeful.
I am running 10.2, and the patch is in the kernel. I just checked, and
the patch was from Chris Mason from SUSE. In this case, I don't think
it was a backport, but a SUSE enhancement.

--
Joe Morris
Registered Linux user 231871