[opensuse] xorg.conf wanted!
  • From: Simon Roberts <thorpflyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 15:42:56 -0800 (PST)
Hi all,

Due to a suspected bug with 10.2 rc1 my xorg.conf file has unhelpful and inappropriate (but approximately workable) entries describing my video device. Specifically, while the hardware system believes that the card is what it is (an Intel 945GM) and has installed (seemingly) the i810 driver for XFree86, the xorg.conf file believes that I have a generic VESA device.

This kinda works but kinda doesn't. Trouble is, I'm an itinerant trainer, and I have to be able to drive an LCD projector from my external video output. Well, right now, I'm working with 1024x768 logical "smushed" onto what something else physical (it's kinda fuzzy, looking like there's interpolation, extrapolation, and/or anti-aliasing going on). The biggest problem is that the output is driving at a frequency that is preventing most monitors and LCDs from locking to the signal properly, and SaX says I have a "framebuffer" and can't change video modes!

So, what I want to try to do is to manually replace (after backing up :) the xorg.conf file with segments for the Device and Monitor elements (and perhaps others?) that will get it to work properly with my card, so I can configure the second output to 1024x768 at a sensible frequency that will work for a "normal" external device.

Can anyone offer me an xorg.conf from a machine that has this video chipset please?

TIA,
Simon

BTW, this, clipped, from my hwinfo output

Model: "Toshiba America Info 945 GM"
Vendor: pci 0x8086 "Intel Corporation"
Device: pci 0x27a2 "945 GM"
Driver Info #0:
XFree86 v4 Server Module: i810
Driver Info #1:
XFree86 v4 Server Module: i810
3D Support: yes
Extensions: dri

and this from my xorg.conf:

Section "Monitor"
HorizSync 31-38
Identifier "Monitor[0]"
ModelName "800X600@60HZ"
Option "DPMS"
VendorName "--> VESA"
VertRefresh 50-60
UseModes "Modes[0]"
EndSection

Section "Modes"
Identifier "Modes[0]"
Modeline "800x600" 38.34 800 832 928 1024 600 604 608 624 -HSync -VSync
EndSection

Section "Device"
BoardName "Framebuffer Graphics"
BusID "0:2:0"
Driver "fbdev"
Identifier "Device[0]"
VendorName "VESA"
EndSection

"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions." — Naguib Mahfouz