Re: [opensuse] Kmail, moving mails from SuSE10 to SuSE10.1
  • From: Will Stephenson <wstephenson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 18:32:12 +0100
On Friday 01 December 2006 14:20, Verner Kjærsgaard said:
> - two things though...
> - "copy .kde over", will that really work? It sounds nearly too good to be
> true.. I could then copy my /home/vk/Mail folder into an
> import-all-from-me-folder and then let Kmail IMPORT the mails?

No, it's that easy. If you have spare disc space elsewhere, backup and
restore every dir in /home.
10.2 creates (given its freedom) a separate partition for /home so in future
all you need to do is tell it to keep the existing /home partition when
upgrading.

> Well, actually three things...
> I was, like so many others, deeply disapointed and a little chocked to
> realize the shortcomings of 10.1
> I bought (like I bought ALL the others since 7.0) the package and installed
> it just when it came out. What a disaster. You sound as if you know a
> little more than I about the upcoming 10.2? Would you say that the update
> algorithm has been solved and may be expected to work?

Yes, we've been testing 10.1 -> 10.2 a lot.

But, For Successful Living I suggest that you, at install or upgrade time,
deselect or taboo Zenworks Linux Package Management and use the openSUSE
Linux Package Management pattern instead. Zenworks/zmd is a lot better in
10.2 but the openSUSE option is lightweight and will be a whole lot more
familiar to you ;).

SuSE's coming home for Christmas.

Will