Re: [opensuse] Favorite E-mail Clients
  • From: Kai Ponte <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 08:50:14 -0800
On Friday 01 December 2006 02:45, Will Stephenson wrote:
> On Friday 01 December 2006 03:24, Dave Barton said:
> > I wholeheartedly agree with Rob. The only thing that keeps me (and I
> > know others) from switching from Evolution (good email client that it
> > is) to Kmail, is the lack of features in the composition of HTML email
> > (eg. in-line graphics). From what I can tell, the Kmail developers
> > either do not believe there is a need for, or want to add full featured
> > HTML email composing functionality.
>
> It's neither of those. The situation is, we're a small team, rewriting for
> KDE 4 is a large job, and considering the balance of resources and
> priorities and timing, we're all working on the backend layers at the
> moment to make those really good for everyone. Also, we're all working on
> it as a personal project (I maintain it for SUSE but that is mainly oiling
> the gears) and none of us have a personal itch for HTML mail authoring to
> scratch.

That is interesting to note. After several years of usin KMail, I hadn't
noticed that it doesn't allow inline pictures. It does, however, allow for
fonts and colors, if one prefers that. I just sent an email to my yahoo
account and it came across in HTML just fine with the fonts and colors.

> Hopefully, with the New! Improved! design, the frontend code will be simple
> and accessible enough (instead of a monolith) that someone with that itch
> will be able to bolt quanta's WYSIWYG html editor onto the kmail composer.

Yeah, that'd be neat. I'm sure it would add to many people's pleasure. Then
we'll be stuck getting emails from all the grannies with some pansy
background image. :P

--
kai

a turn signal is a statement, not a request