Re: [opensuse] grub doesnt boot my system anymore, caught in endless reboot loop
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 04:29:38 -0600
On 2006-12-01 03:50, Mathias Homann wrote:
> Darryl Gregorash schrieb:
>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Now do a "chroot /mnt" followed by "grub-install hd0" to re-install grub
>> into the MBR of hd0.
>>

> as i've written in my previous email, i've done that already. several times. from within yast,
> and from a shell.

Actually, all you said (which I did miss the first time -- it is after
0300 here) was that you ran yast, leaving the impression that you ran it
once. You also did not say if you reinstalled grub after booting the
installed system from the DVD -- that might be worth a try, maybe (??)

I assume you've verified all the necessary files are present. There is
one other file, /etc/grub.conf, that puzzled me until I searched the
Yast.bootloader doc files. It seems to be a command file that yast
passes to the grub shell. You might wish to check the contents of that
to see if they are correct, or just move it out of the way and try again
using Yast.

If nothing does seem to work, you can always replace the MBR with a
default boot record, then one of the following: a) try again to
re-install grub, or b) mark the /boot partition as active, and install
grub into the boot record of that partition.