Re: [opensuse] Wireless ipw3945 Broadcom 4318
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 21:07:24 -0900
On Thursday 30 November 2006 13:24, Jay Smith wrote:
> So this is a long story. I have OpenSuSE 10.1 Remastered on my computer. I
> have an ipw3945 chip in my computer. I have HORRIBLE range with it. MY
> computer is an MSI 1034 btw, one of those whitebooks, build it yourself
> things. Anyways, this 5 ft range really began to bug me so I ordered a new
> card, thinking that maybe the card is defective. I had the same exact
> problem. I decided to use a PCMCIA card from Linksys with the Broadcom 4318
> drivers. Still no luck. I began to notice something though, my wireless is
> controlled by a button on the shell of my computer. when the button is off,
> wireless stops working COMPLETELY. Neither the Linksys nor the Intel
> wireless works,

Wait a minute...
How can a button on the computer control your PCMCIA card?

If you build it yourself, surely you know where that button connects
and what the mobo manual says it does. I can't imagine any
interface that allows you to control both a pcmcia slot and a mini-pci
(or what ever) at the same time.

I have seen cards that didn't work well/at-all close (within 5 feet) of the
AP. Are you sure this is not the problem? Too Close?

--
John Andersen