Re: [opensuse] openexchange
  • From: "Peter Van Lone" <petervl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 18:51:28 -0600
On 11/29/06, Kai Ponte <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<snip>
3. begin porting the (supposedly) better GroupWise to >SUSE

GroupWise is fully ported to linux, and has been for some time.

I think it has a very strong enterprise offering.

The linux client is not quite feature complete with the windows
client, but the web client is very nice, and the next release is
supposed to offer "feature complete" clients on all platforms: web,
windows, mac, linux

Additionally, a product manager for GroupWise just recently posted the
following:

"Our strategy is to partner with a leading vendor in the team
workspace/real-time collaboration area to provide a full-featured
SharePoint alternative that will fit in well with Novell's larger open
source, Linux strategy. The solution will be available as a standalone
product as well as an add-on to the Novell Open Workgroup Suite. The
feature set will include document/content management, team
calendars/tasks, discussion forums, wikis, blogs, search, workflow,
web conferencing, application sharing, IM, etc.

.... we're very close to having a deal finalized with the partner, but
we can't announce anything official until it is completed. Once the
deal is finalized, we can announce further details such as product
availability, pricing, etc. "

Apparently GroupWise is to plug in to this, or this is to be built
around groupwise to some extent ... all that I am not clear about. But
the future may be looking up in the collaboration space, as far as
alternatives to Exchange go.

Peter