Re: [opensuse] smart on 10.2?
  • From: Robert Smits <bob@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 11:08:55 -0800
On Thursday 30 November 2006 03:33, steve reilly wrote:

> I agree, Im thinking there is something wrong again with the updating
> system. Even if there isnt, its just too slow!!!! Yast is like a dinosaur,
> and takes 5 minutes to start up, the zen updater hangs for days if you
> will let it. Smart is the only package manager that works quick and
> flawlessly, as far as I can see.
> Thank you pascal, the pre configured repositories is a nice touch as
> well!!

Yast, in my experience, is only slow if you've added lots of repositories and
told Yast to update them every time it starts up. I just turn off update for
repositories I'm not using and Yast speeds up a lot in startup time.

I certainly agree about zen...it's very slow. I suspect it's because there are
fewer zen repositories and consequently they're getting hit harder and have
less bandwidth available, but this is pure speculation on my part. I
certainly did'nt ask for zen, don't want it now, but am stuck with it.

Bob

--
Robert Smits, Ladysmith BC Email bob@xxxxxxxxx