Re: [SLE] moving my current installation
  • From: Aveek Bhattacharya <aveekbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 13:59:07 +0530
Oops! Did a reply instead of reply-all. Resending...

Phil Burness wrote:
> I have a fully up to date v9.3 system on a 40Gb harddrive. I want to transfer
> this installation to a new 160Gb harddrive. I want to remove the old 40Gb and
> trash it. (It's several years old an I want to change it before it fails).
> Question is how do I transfer the system over including grub etc.
>
> Phil

Hello Phil,

First create partitions on the new hard drive, and copy the files from
the current hard drive to the corresponding partitions on the new one.

Next, chroot to the would-be root partition on the new drive. Then
install grub in the following manner: (assume your new hdd is /dev/hdb)
# grub-install /dev/hdb
if grub is installed on the MBR
or
# grub-install /dev/hdb<x>
if grub is installed in the boot sector of boot partition (/ if you have
no boot partition) (hdb<x>)

Stay in the chrooted shell.

Edit /etc/fstab (new hdd) to change entries that refer to the partitions
on the original drive to the new ones.

Once that is done, edit /boot/grub/grub.conf (may be called menu.lst).
Create a new entry in the file for the new hdd. Refer to the current
entries and change the drive. Remember that grub counts partitions from
0, while (u)dev counts them from 1. (This step is to ensure that you can
boot from the old drive if something goes wrong, without having to
change the boot order in BIOS.)

I've tried something like this before, and it didn't work! However, I
believe the reason was that the kernel did not have reiserfs support
compiled in, and could not use a reiserfs root file system.

If this does not work, you can try autoyast to replicate your
installation on the new drive, and then copy the /home partition.

--
Regards,
Aveek Bhattacharya