RE: [SLE] cifs mounts
  • From: "James D. Parra" <Jamesp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 17:14:57 -0700

On Fri, 2006-06-30 at 06:56 -0700, James D. Parra wrote:
> > In /etc/fstab, I have something similar below;
> >
> > <snip>
> > //windows_server/smbshare /mnt/smb_dir cifs
> > workgroup=our_group,password=xxxx,fmask=777,dmask=777,,username=someone
0
> > 0
> > <snip>
> >
> > Whenever I try to mount it I get the following errors;
> >
> > WARNING: 'fmask' not expressed in octal.
>
> use 0777 instead of 777
>
> > WARNING: CIFS mount option 'fmask' is deprecated. Use 'file_mode'
instead.
> > WARNING: 'dmask' not expressed in octal.
> > WARNING: CIFS mount option 'dmask' is deprecated. Use 'dir_mode'
instead.

> > ... and from /var/log/messages;
> > Jun 29 17:02:38 server-1 kernel: CIFS: Unknown mount option fmask
> > Jun 29 17:02:38 server-1 kernel: CIFS: Unknown mount option dmask
> >
> > I'd like to use /etc/samba/smbfstab with credentials, but I seem to mung
> > that up to the point that I can't mount the smbmounts.
> >
> Thank you for your help Roger. That fixed the octal problem.
>
> However, I'd still like to use /etc/samba/smbfstab (with a 'credentials'
> file) instead of /etc/fstab, but I can't get that to work. Is there a
HOWTO
> that you can point me to, other than the man page.

>>I am currently using smbfs. Any technical reasons to use cifs instead?

We keep getting smbiod errors.

I have all the settings in /etc/samba/smbfstab and when using 'mount
/mnt/smb_dir' I get;

mount: can't find /mnt/smb_dir in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

If I use "smbmount /mnt/smb_dir" I get;

Could not resolve mount point

I get the same error if I use the IP address in place of the server name in
smbfstab.

Any ideas? I can ping by name and it works in fstab.

Thank you,

~James