Re: [SLE] Is there any real purpose for hald on a server-only system?
  • From: Anders Norrbring <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 12:45:11 +0200
Per Jessen skrev:
I've quickly had a look at what hal is all about, and it seems to me
that it's primarily for making things easier for users on a desktop,
whereas it makes little or no sense on a server system? Have I
overlooked anything?

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich
PS: debian has some man-pages for the hal-stuff, but SUSE doesn't
distribute any?

I use it for mounting iSCSI volumes at boot on my servers.. Since the volume doesn't show up until network is up, and the initiator is started, HAL does this work and mounts by volume uuid as soon as it shows up.

--

Anders Norrbring
Norrbring Consulting