Re: [SLE] Is there any real purpose for hald on a server-only system?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 18:00:41 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

> I understand that now everything in /dev is created dynamically by the
> udev system, and udev depends on hal to know what devices are present
> in the system to create the nodes.

That would obviously make hal a hard requirement.

> So the answer is that hald is required, yes - unless you dissable udev
> as well, and go for a completely static /dev tree.

No, udev suites me just fine. :-)

However, what you're saying doesn't sound quite right - from studying
the HAL website, HAL seems to be about e.g. hotpluggable devices,
typically USB, Firewire but I guess also potentially anything else
that's hotpluggable.
On a typical server the hotpluggable devices are the powersupplies, the
CPUs, the PCI-cards and of course the disks. Do you know if HAL gets
involved here too??

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich