Re: [SLE] Is there any real purpose for hald on a server-only system?
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 12:29:43 -0400
On Saturday 01 July 2006 12:00, Per Jessen wrote:
> Carlos E. R. wrote:
> > I understand that now everything in /dev is created dynamically by the
> > udev system, and udev depends on hal to know what devices are present
> > in the system to create the nodes.
>
> That would obviously make hal a hard requirement.
>
> > So the answer is that hald is required, yes - unless you dissable udev
> > as well, and go for a completely static /dev tree.
>
> No, udev suites me just fine. :-)
>
> However, what you're saying doesn't sound quite right - from studying
> the HAL website, HAL seems to be about e.g. hotpluggable devices,
> typically USB, Firewire but I guess also potentially anything else
> that's hotpluggable.
> On a typical server the hotpluggable devices are the powersupplies, the
> CPUs, the PCI-cards and of course the disks. Do you know if HAL gets
> involved here too??
>

> /Per Jessen, Z├╝rich

Well the discussion got me curious and as I said in a previous mail, I had
shut down haldaemon as an experiment.

So I thought to myself.... why not boot the server and see what happens, But
first lets disable HAL so it won't come up at boot time.

Nope.... here's where you can see what shutting down HAL does....

All you have to do is to go into YAST2--> System services and try to disable
HAL. You will get a dialog which tells you what other services must also be
shut down because they depend on HAL. Many, many, of which network,
fetchmail, vsftpd, named, cron, xinetd, ssh, dhcpd .... ad nauseum....

But the first in that list is enough for me.... :-)