Re: [SLE] Install of 10.1 - Not Happy!
  • From: Andy Goss <aegoss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 12:30:58 +1000
On Sat, 2006-07-01 at 18:38 -0700, John Boyle wrote:
> To SLE and Andy Goss: I have to agree with you. I had to retrograde to
> 9.2 Pro to be able to use my SuSe at all. Of course, I am on my Windows
> box right now, which I have kept for when I get frustrated at Linux!!
>
> > Bug resolved:
> >
> > "Your video BIOS does not pass the checksum test (and for good reason,
> > as
> > the bus error you see proves). hwinfo is expected to switch to using the
> > cpu
> > emulation in such cases - but, as it turned out, the code for this was
> > broken.
> >
> > I've fixed it for 10.2."
> >
> > So its a new graphics card, wait for 10.2 Final, or try 10.2 Alpha 2
> > when it arrives.
> >
> > My thanks, good gentlemen of SUSE, for your prompt and efficient
> > investigation.

I have four Linux distros and no Windows. I take frequent backups and
can be pretty sure I can get something to work if I stuff up badly. FC4
is my workhorse on one drive, with Vector 5.1, SUSE 10.1, and
Ubuntu/Kubuntu 6.06 as experimental installs on the other. Currently
only Kubuntu seems to work, and I have not had a chance to check it out
properly yet.
I might try SUSE 10.0 again, as I was sufficiently impressed by it to
want 10.1. I was surprised at the extent that simple things that worked
on 10.0 did not on 10.1, I have seen a number of posts from people who
have had similar experiences.
I assume some radical re-thinking of the underpinnings has been going
on. As an ex-programmer I can appreciate that what looks like a nice
solid product to the end user may be a horrible mess of fudges
underneath, and that in replacing it with a good fundamental design and
maintainable structure a few problems will appear.
I saw a quote pinned up once; "If you don't have time to do it properly,
do you have time to do it again?" Which bears thinking about.

Andy Goss