Re: [SLE] Re: "Permission denied" on CDs - 64 bit SUSE 10.1
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 07:43:16 -0400
John Andersen wrote:
> On Saturday 01 July 2006 02:57 pm, James Knott wrote:
>> James Knott wrote:
>>> I've just noticed something curious, with my 64 bit SUSE 10.1 system.
>>> When I insert a CD-ROM into the drive, the usual KDE Daemon panel pops
>>> up, asking what I want to do. I select "Open in New Window", but then
>>> get "Permission Denied". This does not happen on a 32 bit 10.1 system,
>>> where the CD opens normally. Any idea where I might look for the cause
>>> of this problem?
>> Apparently, on the 64 bit system, those drives were added to fstab, but
>> not on the 32 bit system, which caused the problem. Next question, why
>> the difference?
>
> So what happens when you comment them out of Fstab?
>
> On the SLES9 that I just finished installing on 64bit platform
> I do get the KDE popup, which of course is not often because
> there is seldom anyone logged in at the console.

If I comment out the line, the drives mount properly as /media/hdc etc.
However, even if I add users to the options, I then get an error about
a bad file system "SUBFS", so there's definitely something wrong with
the fstab lines that were created in the 64 bit system. There are no
corresponding lines in the 32 bit one.

So the questions remain, why are those lines added to the 64 bit version
and why are they so defective?