Re: [SLE] 9.1 TO 10.1 QUESTIONS.
  • From: "John N. Alegre" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 15:21:21 -0500
Ken,

On Sunday 02 July 2006 15:06, Ken Schneider wrote:
> If this is a server I don't understand the need for "X" to be
> running. As far as mail being read on this machine use POP as it
> really easy to setup and use and the fewer people that have access
> to a server the fewer problems that can come up from its use. I
> have an old machine I use as my email gateway and wen services and
> pop the mail from it without problem.

Thank you for your comments.

You say don't go 9.1 to 10.1 but do a clean install and then restore
mail. I guess I would consider that if someone could point me to a
complete list of files to keep to restore the procmail / SMTP and
MySQL systems on this machine. Do I have to worry about the upgraded
procmail and MySQL reading the old data files?

As far as your not understanding why I need X to be up, this machine
does use two or three accounts that do run various GUI apps such as
KIIB for CD / DVD burning and one or two music programs to play music
CDs so I do need X. Also I find upgrades with visual YAST easier
then command line.

On the POP issue, I have just found it way easier over the years to
run KMail or evolution served to a remote X Window server then to
configure POP. It is more then just not wanting to bother. This way
I can have 20+ different email accounts on the server for the
different hats I wear and keep the mail all in separate accounts. If
I POP the mail to one logged in user on a remote machine then I have
to set up multiple accounts with multiple mail folders, save folders,
etc. etc on the mail reader of that remote system. I just find
running separate Kmails served over X to be way easer, JMHO.

Thanks for the comments
john