Re: [SLE] 9.1 TO 10.1 QUESTIONS.
  • From: Ken Schneider <suse-list2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 23:06:44 -0400
On Sun, 2006-07-02 at 15:21 -0500, John N. Alegre wrote:
> Ken,
>
> On Sunday 02 July 2006 15:06, Ken Schneider wrote:
> > If this is a server I don't understand the need for "X" to be
> > running. As far as mail being read on this machine use POP as it
> > really easy to setup and use and the fewer people that have access
> > to a server the fewer problems that can come up from its use. I
> > have an old machine I use as my email gateway and wen services and
> > pop the mail from it without problem.
> >
> Thank you for your comments.
>
> You say don't go 9.1 to 10.1 but do a clean install and then restore
> mail. I guess I would consider that if someone could point me to a
> complete list of files to keep to restore the procmail / SMTP and
> MySQL systems on this machine. Do I have to worry about the upgraded
> procmail and MySQL reading the old data files?

Since you are the one managing these I would think you know where they
are. As far as MySQL is concerned you need to learn how to export the
database and then import it after the fresh install. The mail settings
would be under /etc/mail if you are using if you are using sendmail and
under /etc/postfix if using postfix.

> As far as your not understanding why I need X to be up, this machine
> does use two or three accounts that do run various GUI apps such as
> KIIB for CD / DVD burning and one or two music programs to play music
> CDs so I do need X.

If this is a server you should not be playing music on it, use another
desktop.

> Also I find upgrades with visual YAST easier
> then command line.

This can be remotely using ssh -X <server name>. K3b can be used the
same way.

> On the POP issue, I have just found it way easier over the years to
> run KMail or evolution served to a remote X Window server then to
> configure POP. It is more then just not wanting to bother. This way
> I can have 20+ different email accounts on the server for the
> different hats I wear and keep the mail all in separate accounts. If
> I POP the mail to one logged in user on a remote machine then I have
> to set up multiple accounts with multiple mail folders, save folders,
> etc. etc on the mail reader of that remote system. I just find
> running separate Kmails served over X to be way easer, JMHO.

Learn how to setup aliases for the different mail accounts so that all
of the mail goes to one address.

PLEASE do not send email to the list and to me. I DON'T need two copies
of your posting. Only send to the list where it belongs unless asked
otherwise.

--
Ken Schneider