Re: [SLE] Moving /tmp
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 06:29:54 -0400
Derek J. Carr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Very much a new Linux user, but some user experience with Unix 20-odd
> years ago. I'm finding I'm running out of space in / because /tmp is
> filling up doing some backups and zipping. I have more room on a
> different partition so I'd like to move /tmp there. Of course /tmp isn't
> "mounted" at the moment. I'm just confused. How do I mount /tmp onto
> /dev/hda6 (where /local is mounted already) and have the system see it
> as the right tmp directory for zipping and such things. I'm using Suse
> 10.1 free on a i386 machine if that's important.

Assuming you've got a separate partition for it, just add it to fstab.
If you've only got a directory on the /local partition, create a
symbolic link from /tmp to that directory.

Incidentally, you can configure the system so that old stuff is
automagically deleted from /tmp. Have you done that? You can configure
this in the /etc/sysconfig editor. Look under System > Cron for
MAX_DAYS_IN_TMP and CLEAR_TMP_DIRS_AT_BOOTUP.